29 March, 2015
RELEASE AUTHORIZED BY:
Staff Sgt. L.W.Yanick
Weekend Public Information Officer
Release for: March 29th, 2015
For Last 24 Hours:
Impaired Driving Arrests
Over the last 24hrs, police made 2 arrests for impaired driving.
· At 7:15am, Saturday morning, police received a complaint of a 2 vehicle collision occurring at Douglas & VanHorne Ave. E. One of the drivers had failed to stop at the stopsign and struck a vehicle travelling on Douglas. No injuries were reported to anyone. The driver who had failed to stop at the stop sign displayed the usual signs of impairment and was arrested for impaired driving. Breath samples of close to twice the legal limit of .08 were provided. The 27yr old Brandon man was released to appear in court on April 02nd on charges of Impaired Driving, Drive over .08, Fail to Stop at a Stop Sign and As a Driver have more than 0% BAC.
· At 4:50am, Sunday morning, police made a traffic stop at 20th St. and McTavish Ave. after they had observed a vehicle accelerating rapidly on Victoria Ave. after leaving a parking lot in the 2600blk Victoria Ave. The driver showed the usual signs of impairment and was arrested for impaired driving. Breath samples were provided with results of close to 3 times over the legal limit of .08. The 19yr old Brandon man was kept in custody to be released later in the day when sober to appear in court on April 02nd on charges of Impaired Driving and Drive over .08.
Break & Enter and 2 Counts of Mischief Under $5000
On Saturday morning police received a complaint from a resident on Alpine Bay of a man who was drunk at her door. The man was causing a disturbance by kicking the door which he had caused damage to. The man then left Alpine Bay and attended to the residence of his ex-girlfriend on Baker Bay and broke into the residence by kicking the door open. Once inside the man caused damage to the interior of the home by throwing things around damaging some walls. The man then left the residence and slashed 4 tires of the ex-girlfriend’s vehicle parked outside. He fled the scene, however, was arrested in the vicinity by responding police officers. The 33yr. old Brandon man was lodged at the jail and kept in custody until sober to be released later today to appear in court on May 25th on charges of Break & Enter and 2 counts of Mischief Under $5000.
On Saturday afternoon, Police responded to a call of 2 suspicious intoxicated persons at a store in the Corral Centre on 18th St. N. Investigation revealed the 2 persons had been at 2 other stores in the Corral Centre prior and had stolen merchandise valued at under $5000. The two suspects, a 32yr old man and a 24yr old woman, both of Brandon, were arrested on 2 counts of Possession of Stolen Property and were held in custody until sober for release to appear in court on May 25th.
On Saturday evening a 24yr old Weyburn man was arrested on 2 counts of Domestic Assault from an on-going investigation where the man is alleged to have assaulted his female partner in August, 2012 and on Jan. 01st, 2015. The man was released from custody to appear in court on May 11th.
On Saturday evening a 48yr old Brandon man was arrested on charges of Domestic Assault, Breach of Recognizance and Breach of Court Order x 2 after a complaint was received of a domestic assault having occurred at a residence in the 1500blk-Stickney Ave. Investigation revealed the man had punched the female victim in the head and pushed her down a set of stairs. No injuries were reported. The man was also on conditions to not attend any residence where the victim was residing and to not communicate with her. The man had left the residence, however, was arrested a short time later. He was kept in custody to appear for a Bail Hearing on Sunday morning.
On Saturday evening a 911 call was received reporting a disturbance in the back lane of the 1100blk between 18th and 19th St. Police attended and through the investigation found 2 intoxicated men in the back lane who were each found in possession of a knife. Both men, a 26yr old and a 28yr old, both of Brandon, were arrested on a charge of Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose. Both men, were kept in custody overnight until sober to be released on Sunday morning to appear in court on May 21st.
- 3 persons were arrested on outstanding Arrest Warrants held by Brandon Police Service.
- 1 person was arrested by the Minnedosa RCMP on an outstanding Arrest Warrant held by Brandon Police Service.
- Overnight, 2 persons were arrested for consuming too much alcohol and were lodged at the Brandon Correctional Centre; one person under the Intoxicated Persons Detention Act and one person for Breach of the Peace. Both will be released on Sunday morning when sober.
- Police investigated 1 runaway/missing youth from a Brandon Group Home.
- Police also investigated a report of a 53yr old Brandon female requiring medical attention under the Mental Health Act.
Anyone with information on any unsolved crime is asked to call Brandon Crime Stoppers at 204-727-(TIPS) 8477, www.brandoncrimestoppers.com or by texting BCSTIP and your message to CRIMES (274637). Crime Stoppers pays up to $2000.00 cash for information that leads to the solution of a crime.
CRIME STOPPERS 204-727-TIPS