June 30th 2016
Sgt B. Brown #114
Last 24 Hours
Failure to Provide the Necessaries of Life
A 58 year old Brandon woman has been charged with Failing to Provide the Necessaries of Life to a Person Under Charge. Between June and November 2015, the accused halted medical care for her elderly mother as she believed in alternative forms of therapy. The mother became increasing ill and the police intervened after being called by other family members. The mother was transported to the hospital where she passed away. The investigation was completed and forwarded to Manitoba Public Prosecutions and a Crown Attorney indicated charges should be laid. The accused was arrested on Wednesday and will appear in court in August.
On Wednesday morning, a shoplifter was apprehended at a business in the 1600 block of 18th St after staff at the store stopped him trying to leave with a cart full of paper products and a tent. The value of the items is approximately $1100. The accused was released to appear in court in August.
Possession of Property Obtained By Crime and Joyriding
A 14 year old male youth from Brandon was arrested on Wednesday and charged with Possession of Property Obtained by Crime and Joyriding. The youth was interviewed in relation to a stolen van from Brandon that was recovered near Carman on June 27th. He admitted to his involvement. He will appear in court in August.
A second accused, also a 14 year old male youth from Brandon, was also charged on Wednesday with Theft of Motor Vehicle in relation to the stolen van after he was interviewed by police and admitted to the theft. He was released to appear in court in August.
At noon on Wednesday, a woman came to the police service and reported her husband had been threatening her since 6:00 am. A statement taken from the victim revealed they were arguing over their child and the husband assaulted her several times by pushing and shoving her. The accused, a 27 year old Brandon resident, was located by police, arrested and lodged to appear in court on Thursday.
Break and Enter, Man Arrested
A 31 year old Brandon man was arrested on Wednesday evening and charged with Break, Enter and Theft, Break and Enter with Intent and Theft Under $5000. An investigation began on June 28th when a woman reported several break ins to her home and business and theft of money from within. In March, her house was entered several times and money stolen from a cabinet in a basement office. In May, her business in the 700 block of 13th St was entered and money stolen from a safe. Her ex boy-friend, the accused, admitted to her that he had committed the thefts. He was located on Wednesday evening, arrested and released to appear in court in August.
Assault Cause Bodily Harm
A 41 year old Brandon man was arrested on Wednesday evening and will appear in court on Thursday on a charge of Assault Cause Bodily Harm. In April 2016, he was involved in an assault on another man that resulted in the victim suffering a broken leg.
Robbery with Violence
On June 28th a man was assaulted and a ring was stolen from him in the 200 block of 12th St. The victim was punched in the head, kneed in the stomach and kicked in the face as he lay on the ground. He was then forced to turn over the ring to end the assault. A 23 year old Brandon man was arrested on a Winnipeg warrant on Tuesday and was also the suspect in this assault. He was arrested at BCC and will appear in court on Thursday.
At 3:30 am on Thursday morning, a man reported his girlfriend had hit him in the head with a can of food. He was taken to the hospital where 4 staples were required to closed the cut on his head. A statement from the victim revealed that his girlfriend had also threatened him with a steak knife on Wednesday. The girlfriend, a 47 year old woman from Brandon, was located, arrested and released to appear in court in August.
- A 24 year old man with no fixed address was arrested on several BPS warrants by Killarney RCMP. He had phoned his ex-girlfriend and made suicidal comments early Wednesday morning. She called BPS and the RCMP were contacted. RCMP located the man and he was lodged at BCC to appear in court on Thursday morning.
- A 23 year old man was arrested on warrant on Wednesday and lodged at BCC to appear in court on Thursday.
- An intoxicated adult female was located in front of City Hall and lodged at BCC for Breach of Peace to be released when sober.
- Two individuals were lodged under the Intoxicated Persons Detention Act after a report was received of a man dragging a woman in the 700 block of Stickney Ave. The two were highly intoxicated and attempting to assist each other in walking however they were too drunk.
- Christopher KONDEJEWSKI, whom police had issued an arrest warrant for on Tuesday, turned himself in on Wednesday evening and was released to appear in court in July.
- An intoxicated adult male was located passed out in a bus shelter in the 100 block of McTavish Ave East and was lodged under the Intoxicated Persons Detention Act.
- Three individuals, an adult female and two adult males, were lodged for Breach of Peace after a woman returned to her residence and found all three passed out in a bed.
Anyone with information on any unsolved crime is asked to call Brandon Crime Stoppers at 204-727-(TIPS) 8477, www.brandoncrimestoppers.com or by texting BCSTIP and your message to CRIMES (274637). Crime Stoppers pays up to $2000.00 cash for information that leads to the solution of a crime.
CRIME STOPPERS 204-727-TIPS