Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Non-emergencies (204) 729-2345   |   Emergencies 9-1-1

Department Organization

Animal Control

Animal Control

The City of Brandon currently employs 2 Animal Control Officers.

The officers are available 7 days a week 7:00 am - 5:00 pm and after hours for emergencies only. You must call to make a complaint to (204) 729-2345.

The services that are provided by Animal Control are:

  • Securing dogs/cats and any other domestic animal that is running at large
  • Checking license tags on dogs and cats
  • Destroying any animals that are causing a nuisance
  • Destroy/remove any pests (meaning any animal, bird, rodent, domestic or wild animal causing a health hazard)
  • Assisting injured domestic animals and finding immediate medical care
  • Investigating animal cruelty situations
  • Securing injured wildlife
  • Dealing with odour problems from the defecation of dogs and cats
  • Ensuring dangerous dogs are declared dangerous under the by-law

Off-Leash Dog Parks

Brandon's off-leash parks are located in the 2700 block of Park Avenue and in the 1000 block of Victoria Avenue East. They are great places to take your dog for some exercise.

See all City of Brandon By-Laws.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Does my dog or cat have to have a licence?

A. Yes, all dogs and cats, regardless if they are indoor or not MUST be licenced.


Q. How many dogs or cats am I allowed to have?

A. You are permitted to have 2 adult cats and/or 2 adult dogs. Puppies can stay at your residence up to 6 months of age, unless you are a licensed breeder.

Q. Do you trap small animals?

A. We no longer trap rodents on private property, however if you have larger pests such as skunks, woodchucks, racoons, etc., we will trap and remove.


Q. If you find my dog, where can I pick him up?

A. Pets are transported to the City Pound, located South west of Brandon. There is a pound fee incurred when you collect your pet.


Q. Can I surrender my pet to Animal Control?

A. If the pet is approved by Animal Control, there will be a nominal fee which must be paid at the time of collection to the Animal Control Officer.


Q. Can I use my own traps in my yard?

A. General answer is No under the city by-laws; however, each case can be determined at the discretion of the Animal Control officer.


Q. Can I have a Snake, Lizard or reptile in my home?

A. Yes you may. There currently is no by-law regarding reptiles.


Q. Must my pets vaccinations be up to date?

A. Yes, regardless if they are indoor or outdoor pets.


Q. What do I do if I am bitten by a dog?

A. Seek medical attention, if required. Then call The Brandon Police Service to make a police report at 204-729-2345. An Animal Control Officer will be assigned to your case and will contact you when available.


Q. Can I walk my dog without a leash in the city?

A. No. City By-Law states all Dogs MUST be leashed at all times, other than approved dog parks or private property.


Q. How do I make an Animal Control complaint?

A. Please phone the Brandon Police Service at 204-729-2345 with your information and concerns.


Q. Can I take my dog to the school grounds during the summer months?

A. No. In fact, it is an offence to permit your dog on ANY school, playground or cemetery at ANY time, whether under control or not.

Back to Top

Department Organization